unravelling at night what she had woven during the day, as a clever ploy to “buy time” and stave off hungry suitors - Odyssey

Top Image

Top Image

time for relationships



From: PhD Candidate [phd.candidate@school.com] 
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2012 11:04 AM Eastern Standard Time
To: Old boyfriend from years ago
Subject: RE: the gos 

My boyfriend and I broke up, as opposed to just having space, last night. I told him I need more time to focus on school. It’s been really hard trying to stay on track with this program, the benchmarks are challenging. Near impossible. In the interest of ensuring I meet my target to defend in September, I really need to buckle down. He said he will only stay with me if I give him the same amount of time and attention that I have been - he fell in love with me under a particular set of conditions that he feels must be maintained. In fact, he told me to quit school. Needless to say, he seems quiet needy and emotionally dependent and I can’t have that sort of distraction and I don’t have the time for that. That was the last straw in a longer argument regarding life directions ect…. In short: it’s over.

It was so sudden. I know we haven’t been together long, but I am sure he knew that I needed to focus more, try harder, write more.... I’m crazy insulted that he can’t understand why I just need a little bit of time to accomplish this personal goal of mine. Am I going to be single the rest of this degree? I wish he could have it both ways, but my time and body is finite...


PhD friend


From:   Old boyfriend from years ago [old.boyfriend.from.years.ago@job.com]
To: PhD friend
Subject: Re: the gos


Shit, well I'm sorry to hear that but it definitely sounds like a mature and responsible choice. I made the mistake once of encouraging you not to continue school and I paid the price! You've made it this far and it's obviously very important for you and he should understand that. His loss. 


Old boyfriend


0 comments:

Post a Comment

PhD correspondence All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger