unravelling at night what she had woven during the day, as a clever ploy to “buy time” and stave off hungry suitors - Odyssey

Top Image

Top Image

update


From: Advisor <Advisor@bigshot.com>
Tue, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM
To: PhD Candidate <phd.candidate@email.com>

Hi,

Just touching base. I’m not in my office much these days—Tuesdays and most Wednesdays are the best days to catch me (I’m around tomorrow at 2:30 or next Tues between 10 and 3). Don’t hesitate to email as well. 

Hope you’re developing the ideas we discussed last month about a modified comp proposal. I suspect at this point it you won’t quite have it ready for us before the Christmas break. No worries if this is the case, but it would be good to have something for us early in the new year for the committee to review and discuss with you. Remember, the proposal doesn’t have to be comprehensive at this stage—just enough for a constructive preliminary discussion with the three of us about your project and for us to agree on any modifications before you develop it more fully and wrap it up for the full comp oral (and completion of comp requirements) later Winter Term.

All the best, 

Advisor


From: PhD Candidate <phd.candidate@email.com>
Thu, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM
To: Advisor <Advisor@bigshot.com>

Thanks for the message. I am slowly working away at the proposal. I have been highly distracted this semester by my mother's diagnosis. And I'm not making an excuse, but I had to reprioritize my life and deal with my family so that I can move forward. I'm in my home- town with my mother now. She's being taken off chemo next weekend because her body can't take it anymore. I told you I could cope, but I struggled and couldn't cope as well and balance everything as I let on.

I hope to come back in January with some fresh perspective and work done.

See you in the new year and all the best to you and you family over the holiday.

PhD Candidate


From: Advisor <Advisor@bigshot.com>
Fri, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM
To:PhD Candidate <phd.candidate@email.com> 

Hi,

I suspected you were distracted and I'm sorry to hear about your mom's struggles with her illness. While we can tell ourselves to rationally compartmentalize the issues, our reactions tend to be much more difficult when it comes to family and friends, especially where there are complex histories. Try to relax as much as you can over the holidays, look for cheer, and we'll chat in the new year.

All the best, 

Advisor

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PhD correspondence All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger