unravelling at night what she had woven during the day, as a clever ploy to “buy time” and stave off hungry suitors - Odyssey

Top Image

Top Image

longstanding

From: childhood friend
Subject: Re: city!
Date: 30 March, 2014 2:08:49 AM EDT
To: friend


Hey.

Thanks for your kind text messages. Sorry but I'm not a big texter, got wayyy too much to say and wayyyy too little patience for that shit.

I found it incredible, much like yourself, that all the positive traits I had remembered about you were not fabrications of a memory gone wild, but ever-present. In fact, it is inspiring to me that the none of the coercive institutions that are undergraduate education, graduate education, the Catholic Church and widescreen television have succeeded in breaking down your free spirit. And I have no doubt that nothing ever will. I would tell you that I wish you nothing but the best, but I think its more important that I tell you that I have no doubts you will get the best.

Here's a quote a friend of mine got me on to a while ago. Substituting for the use of the male pronoun, I'm interested to know if you think it applies to you, if it jives with your experience.

 "I think there's an idea that people have that life is a linear progression, where you go from A to B to C and so on, and if you don't get to B you won't get to C. In fact it's a total illusion, because anyone who thinks carefully about his own life knows that the pattern of his past is absolutely accidental and serendipitous. The key challenge in life is not to know where you are going to go but prepare your character so when those wonderful moments of serendipity occur, you can listen to your heart and know what it is you need to do." - Wade Davis

Anyways, I can't wait to see you again soon.

Much love. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

PhD correspondence All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger